9.09.2010

Race to Nowhere (trailer)

These kids come to the table with this creativity and this love of learning... let's not take it out of them!
--
Race to Nowhere (trailer below)

 

Race to Nowhere: The Dark Side of America's Achievement Culture (film)

In my graduate classes we're often posed with the question What is the purpose of school/education? From now on I think my answer to this should be what the man in the tie says toward the end of this trailer:

We need to really think: what does it take to produce a happy, motivated, creative human being?
--
Man in Tie at 2:12 mark of video above

I found this at BePlayful.

2 comments:

  1. Tyler,
    This is a thought-provoking video that really makes me sad. I felt as a child that I was pressured by my mother and grandmother to do well in school...and I was a very good student...the pressure worked well for me. And look! I'm still in school!!! But this today...it's crazy...it is NOT working for too many kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathy Jo
    Agreed, something's got to change. I'd like to see this whole film... I wonder if they present ideas on how we can set high expectations without inducing the crippling anxiety that sometimes accompanies these expectations.

    And I'm glad you're "still in school." You've been a thoughtful, unselfish member of every dialogue in which I've seen you take part. ILLYCHIANS FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete