12.02.2010

The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

(Note: this is an assignment for a Master's course at K-State, EDCI 887: Professional Seminar I, taught by Dr. Rosemary Talab)

Assignment Description
Write a book report over one of the following books (there was a list).

Assignment
I chose The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future by Mark Bauerlein.

1. Here is my book report (pdf).

2. And here is a rant I wrote after writing my book report:

Imagine you are a kid.

Now imagine being told you are dumb. Over and over. And having research studies shoved in your face which all say the same thing.

Imagine being told you're ruining the "American heritage" and that you and your friends are going to have a hard time not screwing everything up.

Because you're so dumb.

Now imagine someone told you to write a book report over this experience :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like being called "dumb." And I don't like calling other people "dumb." Even if I knew a decent definition for what it means to be "dumb" or "stupid," I would never use those words. It would say nothing about the person to whom I'm referring as "dumb" or "stupid" or "thick-headed" or "retarded," but it would say a lot about me. I object to the author's usage of the word "dumbest" in the title of his book, I object to his negative attitude about where the world is headed simply because today's kids score lower on multiple-choice tests, and I object to the fact that he wrote this book just above my reading level so I had to realize how dumb I am WHILE READING ABOUT HOW DUMB I AM.

(Sigh) Ok, I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment